Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Life-Changing Experience

This will be a long one, so cozy up in your chair, grab a glass of iced tea, and relax as you read the day our life changed forever for the better!

April 29, 2010 - It was a regular Thursday. All of the first grade teachers were sorting through their plants and critters afterschool and getting everything ready for the following day to introduce an organism unit to all of our students. This is my second year teaching this unit and let's just say that though it is a favorite among the students, it is probably my least favorite. I just do not like dealing with guppies (probably because all of my goldfish as a child were not success stories), roly polys, millipedes, snails, and plants like cabomba and elodea (water plants) and loblolly pines and moss (for the terrariums). Let's just say last year, a dear teacher friend pretty much set all of mine up as I was squirming, attempting to help. This year I was a bit better. A fellow-teacher and friend had her children come up to the school to help her and they were sweet enough to help me get set up as well. I decided to wait to set up the millipedes and roly polys because I knew my students could handle that.

Suddenly, without too many details, I thought my water had broken so I went to another fellow teacher and friend and asked her how you knew when your water had broken. She shared her experiences with me, which seemed nothing like what I was experiencing, but I decided to go ahead and call the after hours line just to be sure. While I was waiting to hear back from them, I went to Liz's house to pick up our bassinet that the best seamstress in the world had just completed - she dropped it off at Liz's house because she was picking up fabric from her to do some curtains for Par's big boy room. When I got to her house, I shared my experience with Liz and she assured me that it was probably nothing - that they may call me in just to run some tests and they'd probably send me back home.

Sure enough, the nurse called back and asked that I go ahead and come in - even though I insisted to her that it really was probably nothing. She told me that I didn't need to rush, but I should get to the hospital in about 20-30 minutes. A few tears later and Liz's reassurance again, I got in the car (without bassinet) and headed home, calling Tim on the way. Tim was in the middle of a phone call with a customer, but quickly hung up with her to head home. I got home first and was casually finishing packing my bag (it had been packed, for the most part, for a few weeks now). Tim came home and began packing a few things as well before we headed to the hospital. I insisted that we leave our bags at home because, once again, it was probably nothing. Tim thought that it was definitely the night!

We got into the hospital around 5:30 pm and were greeted by the sweetest nurse I have ever met - Allivia (pronounced "Olivia"). She was exactly what I needed - she babied me like I had never been babied before. "Sweetpea" this and "Honey" that - she put me so at ease! She ran a few tests, which came up negative for amniotic fluid. The doctor on call came and ran some more tests, which also came up negative. However, the last test she ran came up positive for amniotic fluid so she sent me up for a sonogram so they could measure the fluid. The fluid was supposed to measure in at a 7 (whatever that means), however my fluid levels were measuring at a 4.95. The doctor came back in our holding room, which I thought was unusual since I still thought we were going home (Tim still thought we were staying). She walked in the room with a big smile and said, "How do you feel about having a baby tomorrow?" Soon enough, we were admitted. You would have thought it was Christmas morning in Tim's eyes. I have never seen him so giddy. I was slowly coming out of denial that we were not going home and began to get nervous, but seeing Tim's excitement definitely put me at ease and I became just as excited (I also had sweet Alliva's comfort too)! The plan was to put me on an IV overnight and start the Pitocin at midnight. Tim went home as Liz and Sugar stayed with me in the hospital. He was greeted at home by his father and brothers and they quickly helped gather our things to bring to the hospital.

April 30, 2010 - By 7:00 or 7:30 am I had my epidural and things began to progress quickly. My mom arrived from Atlanta by 10:00 and we got to visit with her before little Tim's arrival. The Sandner family arrived as well - little Tim was definitely going to be greeted by a crowd! I believe there was even some scheming from the grandmothers to find out the exact progress of their grandson's arrival. Tim came into the world at 11:49 that morning and forever changed our lives.


When I was pregnant, so many people expressed to me how life-changing this little one would have on our lives, as well as the incredible love we would have for him. Nothing could prepare me for the overwhelming love I have for little Tim. It is truly an indescribable feeling - the most beautiful words in our language cannot even begin to adequately describe the unconditional love I have for him!

No one prepared me for the depth my love would grow for my husband as well. I see him now with brand new eyes. He is such an amazing father, who is equally in love with our new addition. We give glory to the Lord for this amazing gift He has blessed us with!

No comments: