Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Look, Mom, No Hands!

"The smoke that thunders" - mist coming up from the falls

Tim woke up early this morning (like before the sun was up) to hike down to Victoria Falls. He wanted to do some time exposures with the camera and wanted to be there right as the sun was rising. Unfortunately, the person was late in opening the gate to the falls so he didn't get the exact effect he intended, but I think it still turned out pretty well.


We headed to a small motorboat to transfer us to Livingstone Island at 7:30 this morning. This is the island that David Livingston came across in November of 1855 upon coming across Victoria Falls (this is during the dry season and he could walk to the island, which you can obviously not do now). This island is situated at the very edge of the falls. We were greeted with an authentic Zambian drink. It was very interesting - similar to pancake batter with the consistency of grits that have not been cooked all of the way (yuck). We're just experiencing the culture though!

We then headed with two guides to the edge of the falls. I was the first one up (thank you, Rita D., for teaching me how to be so courageous)! The two Zambians (one on each arm - how sweet) escorted me to the edge of the falls. It was magnificent (or as the English people we were with said, "Brilliant"). We each went out one at a time, including Tim. We even got a picture of the two of us on the edge of the falls, but you can only see our silhouette due to the sun.

That's me!

That's Tim!


Next, we walked with a guide (two at a time) to the very edge of the falls (less than a foot from the cliff). Amazingly, looking down the gorge of the falls was not the scariest part to me. I really wasn't that scared (shocker, I know). To get to the destination of rocks on the edge, you had to walk from rock to rock through the water (slippery little guys too). The guide was fabulous, telling us exactly where to put our feet. He had a very firm grip as well (considering how thin he was). The only time I got scared was on the way back to the island when I started to think about what I was actually doing. YIKES! If the Zambian slips in anyway, we are both swept over the falls (luckily, that did not happen).

Aren't you impressed? I'm so adventurous!

Waving from the edge!

Chillin'

After our small adventure, we went back to a tent that was set up for a traditional English breakfast, in honor of David Livingston. They handwashed our feet (since they were so muddy) and served us hot muffins, scones, and a decadent eggs benedict. It was delicious!



This is the bathroom on Livingston Island (aka "Loo with a View") - the side facing out is completely open - no doors

The view from the loo


Then we were off again to get back to our hotel so we could finish packing up before heading to the airport. However, Tim had other intentions. During our helicoptor ride, we saw some microlights (think of a hang glider with a lawnmower engine on the back) flying above the falls. Tim had a wild hair and wanted to do this so we rushed to the site and Tim was off. I was so nervous and told him that he better come back in one piece! He said it was wonderful and now he would like to purchase one (I think not).


"Hey, Honey! I'm hang gliding!" (actually it's a microlight - see that lawnmower engine on the back - "IDIOT!")
Then we were off to the Zambian airport to head to Jo'burg. The flight was uneventful (thank goodness) and we were left in the Jo'burg airport for 6 hours! It was miserable. Don't get me wrong, they actually had a mall inside the airport. I'm not talking little gift shops and side restaurants - I mean an actual mall! GENIUS! Unfortunately, even I cannot keep myself entertained for 6 hours in a mall (another shocker, I know).
Finally we boarded our plane for our 8 hour flight to Cairo. It was an overnight flight so our plan was to sleep the entire time so we would be energized once we arrived at 6:45 am. Today was definitely a long day!

No comments: