Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Dr. Livingstone, I Presume

Tim and I woke up early this morning in Jo'burg back at the Continental Sun. Tim had scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, sausage, and pastries for breakfast, while I had eggs benedict. Then we were off to catch our 10:15 am flight to Livingston, Zambia. The flight lasted slightly under two hours, during which time Tim wrote in his journal and I read. We flew over the Zambezi River and it was beautiful. We were transferred to our hotel - The Royal Livingston. I. Love. This. Hotel. It is one of the most gorgeous hotels I have had the privilege of visiting (since we have just arrived, we do not have pictures of this just yet...stay tuned). As soon as you step onto the property, you feel as though you have stepped into a different time in history, with an English and traditional decor. The rooms are nice too, with an old-time feel. The property has giraffes, zebras, impala, and monkeys. We were greeted by Kelvin who introduced us to the hotel. As he oriented us to the hotel, I received a hand massage while sipping on a champagne cocktail. Am I dreaming? If so, please don't pinch me.

Tim and I explored the grounds. The property backs up to the Zambezi River and is situated at the top of Victoria Falls. The pool, sundeck, and restaurant overlooks the river. Tim and I enjoyed a cocktail on the sundeck before heading to our river safari cruise down the Zambezi River.

We boarded a propeller boat that held about 16 people. During our river safari we saw tons of hippos! One cluster had five or six together! One of them even yawned (which is a signal of attack - yikes), but we were not fast enough to capture a picture. There were also about seven elephants eating along the border of the river. We were able to get pretty close with great pictures. Right at sunset, we stopped on a small island for cocktails and snacks. The sunset was beautiful.

When we got back to the hotel, we sat on the sundeck and continued to watch the sunset before heading to our room to prepare for dinner - it was very relaxing. We had dinner on the outside patio of the restaurant. Tim had a chicken dish, while I had klingfish over coriander risotto. It was very good.

Tomorrow we will leave by 8:30 am for our tour of Victoria Falls. We also have a helicoptor ride over the falls planned for tomorrow afternoon.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

OMG! Your trip looks amazing so far! I love all the pics of the animals you have seen. Absolutely incredible!! Keep updating us. I love it!!!

lynne said...

What an amazing adventure! Thanks so much for sharing the wonderful pictures and all the details with us! We are truly enjoying it all. Looks like ya'll are having the time of your life. Again, thanks for keeping us up to date. Take care and have fun. Love to you both. Lynne & Tim