Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 20, 2009

I am so blue!

At the beginning of this school year we had a meeting during our "preseason" (as I like to call our week of preparation before the students arive) about our True Colors personality. We were given four cards with information and pictures on them and asked to arrange them in order from which ones describe us the most to the least. I was very easy - blue, gold, and then green and orange were equally tied.

Blue basically describes a sensitive person who always wants to please other people and will try their hardest to make everyone around them happy. Often times, they commit themselves to help someone in a situation, because they cannot say no, and end up stressed and even fail at coming through for the person - but only having the best of intentions to help. They are known as a peacemaker and often find themselves apologizing for themselves when there is no need. Well...this is me in a nutshell!

Now...I don't think it is a bad thing to be blue. Based on the personality profile, we are very good listeners and are there for our friends when they need us. I would say that I fit that as well (mostly because I've been told that by my friends). Well...the downfall of being blue is that these personalities can also be looked at as a doormat - you can walk all over them if they let you.

This has certainly gotten me into trouble! Most recently with nicknames (bet you didn't think I was going there). I do not like nicknames. Now...I would be lying to say that I have never personally used a nickname myself, however, I usually ask the person if it is okay that I call them whatever it is that I call them.



Unfortunately, I have a ton of nicknames that I would rather not go by, but because of my blue personality, I have failed to mention (to the majority) that I do not care for these nicknames. Allow me to list a few: Melly, Mel, Mel Bell, Melamoo (yes...that would be from middle school), and the dreaded Smelly Melly (as a term of endearment by my Grandpa [Mel] - yes, his name was Melvin [aka 'Mel' - he liked it], which is probably why I don't prefer Mel, as it is very masculine to me).



Now if you are reading this and thinking, Oh no! I have SO called Melanie one of those names before, please do not worry. It is my fault - I have not corrected you. That is part of my blue personality. You will rarely find that I would correct you, as I would not want to embarrass you (you probably wouldn't even be embarrassed, but I would certainly be embarrassed to correct you - I once attended a workshop where the instructor called me "Melissa" and I failed to correct her because I didn't want her to feel bad [isn't that awful?]).



Sorry to ramble about this, but, as I was looking over my notes from this "preseason" meeting, it got me to wondering why I allowed the whole nickname thing to happen - now I know why! It's me and my blue personality - I'm a pleaser and I don't want to hurt feelings (and really hope that I have not with this post - not my intention at all [I am refraining from apologizing at this moment, as my co-workers have asked me to work on not apologizing for myself all of the time]). So...chances are if you still call me by a nickname, I will still respond (but will most likely be cringing on the inside).

No comments: