Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Good Reads!

Do you know how much I love, love, love to read?! Tim is just fascinated by my bookworm-ish habits. However, I know plenty of people who read just as much as me, if not more! I can remember when the Babysitter's Club Books came out (I had every single one) and I was slightly obsessed with reading them. My mom said that she could not get my nose out of the book. Don't get her wrong, she loved the idea of me reading, however, whenever I was engrossed with a book, she could not get me to do anything! In fact, she would physically have to take the book away from me as a punishment at times - isn't that awful?! Taking a book away from a person! (Only kidding, Mom, I know you did what you needed to do for me to clean my room)

I go in and out of my phases of reading, but my bookworm-ish ways can still be as intense as they were when I was younger. Let's take this weekend as an example. With it being Labor Day, Tim and I had a very relaxing weekend of doing absolutely nothing (in between laundry, mowing the lawn, and a measly second attempt to clean out the garage). Tim had his football and I had my Kindle!

My latest read was recommended to me by Father Richard. He occasionally will recommend a book or two to me because he knows of my love of reading (let me just say that he is the King of Bookworms - if I knew a certain species of worms that were the longest in the world - he would be that bookworm [I mean this in the most endearing way - he knows that]). I know some people would be flabbergasted to know that I have never seen "The Princess Bride". Well...let me just say that I am glad I have not seen the movie because I can say that I read the book! Morgenstern is a very lengthy writer (not that there's anything wrong with that, hence this blog post), but his craft is amazing! This is the teacher in me - I love to point an author's craft out to my students and I love picking it out of my own authors even more. Anywho...I digress. The Princess Bride was so fabulous, I went on to read Buttercup's Baby (it was good, but not as good as The Princess Bride).

The next book on my list that I knocked out this weekend was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (whew - that is a mouthful). It was a very interesting read, but difficult to read at times. The entire book was written in the form of letters (it took place immediately after WWII), which I did think was well done by the author (to tell a complete story through other people's letters - pretty interesting).

Now...onto my next book, which I have been looking forward to reading since it hit the stands. (Drumroll please)..........Pat Conroy's South of Broad. Pat Conroy is a favorite of mine (I was first introduced to him in high school in The Great Santini in Mrs. Field's English class). I was thrilled to hear that he came out with a new book - especially because he has not released a book in a little over 10 years!

So, I'm off to read! By the way, I totally commend you for reading my entire post (especially if you are not a reader).

****Sidenote: I did not read all of these books this weekend. I finished reading The Princess Bride a couple of weeks ago and finished Buttercup's Baby at the beginning of the weekend.

No comments: