Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Past and Present

A big component in the Social Studies curriculum for 1st grade is comparing the present with the past. One of the first ways I introduce this to my students is comparing their school to how it is now, to how it once was. What better way to do this than to ask Tim to come and share his experience (he is a former student at the school where I teach)?! He did such a great job, and all of his reminiscing with the children caused me to reflect on my own experiences (which definitely overlapped with his).

I can remember there being computers only in the computer lab (and they were the old kind - like the black background with the bright green font - like the computer in Lost that they had to punch the numbers into). Then I remembered when the teachers were able to have a computer in their classrooms, but only for their use. Now...each classroom has anywhere from 3-5 computers, plus the computer lab and the various sets of laptops that our school has - all for the students! I really could go on about technology - let's face it...I thought the beeper was an innovative piece of technology - ha! Not so much! (And no, I did not have one. However, I did want one!)

Another thing that is different was lunch tickets! Do you remember those things?! How we/our teachers kept up with those, I'll never know. Now, the students have a keypad and they just enter their lunch number into it. Much easier than the lunch tickets.

I really could go on and on, but for the lack of another really long post (since I am doing back-to-back), I want to know...what do you remember from your elementary years that has changed with our current times?

No comments: