Well...by the title of this post you may be wondering what this post is all about. Tim came to pick me up late this morning from the house to go get our dreaded shots for Africa. So not fun! As if I'm not worried enough about the flight, the wild animals, the food, etc., I had to get shots too. Don't get me wrong - I am absolutely thrilled beyond belief about going on this trip with Tim. We will be creating memories that will be sure to last a lifetime. However, I certainly have had some reservations along the way (see above). Regardless, we needed to get our shots to ensure some of our safety, healthwise, while we are there.
We drove down to the Kirklin Clinic after a small parking fiasco to go to the UAB Traveler's Health Clinic. I must say before getting started that the Kirklin Clinic is one beautiful building. I had never been before and was very impressed. Luckily, we did not have to wait very long to see our doctor. Dr. Bradford actually came out to get us from the waiting room. We went back to his office which was decorated with all sorts of art and knick knacks from around the world. He proceeded to talk us through the various vaccines we would be receiving - Typhoid Fever, Hepatitis A, Polio, and a Techna shot. He ruled out Yellow Fever (whew!). After discussing the vaccinations we would be receiving, he talked us through medication we need to be sure to take on our trip - this includes a perscription of Malarone (for Malaria) and Ciprofloxacin (an antibiotic), as well as Imodium AD, Pepto tablets, Advil, Aleve, etc. I'm sure Mary will have some other suggestions for us too.
After discussing drugs with us, he proceeded to talk to us about how to be careful with what we eat and drink while we are there, as well as the importance of bug spray and special clothing that has been pretreated with an insect repellant. I don't have any clothing like that - anyone up for a shopping trip?
After all of the informative chit chat, Shannon took us to a little room for our shots. Though I still do not know how to work pictures onto our blog, I wanted Tim to take a picture of my bravery. He did not - however I am not afraid to show you the triangle of band-aids on my left arm and my single band-aid on my right arm as my badge of courage. I did manage to get a picture of Tim with his iPhone, but I'm seriously doubting that he will allow me to post it - we'll see.
Considering that this took up most of the day (including renewing our car tags), I have spent the afternoon on the phone calling pharmacies to get pricing information on our perscriptions. The good news is that our antibiotic is free at Publix - FREE - yippee! The bad news is the Malarone is not. Off to make some more phone calls!
Please let me know of any great packing/travel tips you may have!
We drove down to the Kirklin Clinic after a small parking fiasco to go to the UAB Traveler's Health Clinic. I must say before getting started that the Kirklin Clinic is one beautiful building. I had never been before and was very impressed. Luckily, we did not have to wait very long to see our doctor. Dr. Bradford actually came out to get us from the waiting room. We went back to his office which was decorated with all sorts of art and knick knacks from around the world. He proceeded to talk us through the various vaccines we would be receiving - Typhoid Fever, Hepatitis A, Polio, and a Techna shot. He ruled out Yellow Fever (whew!). After discussing the vaccinations we would be receiving, he talked us through medication we need to be sure to take on our trip - this includes a perscription of Malarone (for Malaria) and Ciprofloxacin (an antibiotic), as well as Imodium AD, Pepto tablets, Advil, Aleve, etc. I'm sure Mary will have some other suggestions for us too.
After discussing drugs with us, he proceeded to talk to us about how to be careful with what we eat and drink while we are there, as well as the importance of bug spray and special clothing that has been pretreated with an insect repellant. I don't have any clothing like that - anyone up for a shopping trip?
After all of the informative chit chat, Shannon took us to a little room for our shots. Though I still do not know how to work pictures onto our blog, I wanted Tim to take a picture of my bravery. He did not - however I am not afraid to show you the triangle of band-aids on my left arm and my single band-aid on my right arm as my badge of courage. I did manage to get a picture of Tim with his iPhone, but I'm seriously doubting that he will allow me to post it - we'll see.
Considering that this took up most of the day (including renewing our car tags), I have spent the afternoon on the phone calling pharmacies to get pricing information on our perscriptions. The good news is that our antibiotic is free at Publix - FREE - yippee! The bad news is the Malarone is not. Off to make some more phone calls!
Please let me know of any great packing/travel tips you may have!
No comments:
Post a Comment