Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Real Bruiser...

You will remember here my feelings on nicknames. Well, I should never have fooled myself in that Tim was bound to have one himself one day. Especially since it took us THREE days to decide exactly what we would call him (remember, we always had a name...we just were undecided on what we would call him) - he was little guy (still is some times), big guy, and little buddy those first few days (isn't that awful?!).



Then, when Daddy saw how fast he was growing in those early months, he began to call him 'Bruiser'. Yes, I have a 'Bruiser', sometimes shortened to 'Bruise-y' or even just 'Bruise'. UGH! The worst part is that we are not the only ones that call him this!!!! Sugar, Pops, and Nana have all said it on occasion, and you KNOW his uncles LOVE it! The best (or worst?) was when Melanie (I am not talking about myself - this is John's gf) said, "I love how you just called him Bruiser." I think it was the Fourth of July and I could not BELIEVE that I had done it..SUBCONSCIOUSLY. Oh well!


I think it's kind of funny now, though, because Tim is not such a 'Bruiser'. We don't know his stats yet, but he has definitely grown leaner and is not as chubby in certain spots (don't worry, he still has leg rolls and a few in his arms).


However, last week I picked Tim up from school like this:



Yes...there is a HUGE red spot on his forehead that is bound to turn into a huge bruise. They called me at school since he bumped his head (protocol), but said he appeared perfectly fine and did not even cry after the incident. Incident? What happened, you ask? He was attempting to crawl (and determined to do so) and head-planted into a toy piano. I laughed because I just recently saw this in a catalog and wondered if someone would seriously get this for their child:


Now, being a teacher, I know some children wear these who have seizures (though I think those helmets are a little more heavy duty), but they were advertising this specific piece of head protection for unbalanced crawlers/walkers.


Now Daddy calls Tim 'Gorby' (short for Gorbachev), but as the (literal) bruise begins to fade, I'm sure we'll go back to old faithful - Bruiser.

No comments: