Okay...I have heard some pretty big horror stories from expecting and past-expecting parents regarding the tact of total strangers, but I have finally had my experience with that person. Last week, I was in my classroom before the students came in and a substitute teacher walked past my classroom. She was admiring the graph my kids did of their prediction of Baby Hennessy's sex (I promise to post a picture of this at some point, but my students' pictures are on it so I need to figure out a way to blur them out for privacy reasons - it really is cute though). She stopped in my doorway and told me how cute it was. I was in an especially good mood that morning and cheerfully told her thanks. Here is how the rest of the conversation transpired:
Subsitute: Now, is this your second or third?
Me: Oh no - it's my first! We are SO excited! (Lots of enthusiasm)
Subsitute: Oh! Congratulations! When are you due?
Me: May
Substitute: Wow! You are big! Are you having twins?
Me: (Not happy with the 'big' comment, but used to it...I'm also used to being asked if we are expecting twins) Noooo...not twins (still a 'happy' voice, but the happy sarcastic tone I can get if you know me well).
Substitute: Really?! (Then she proceeds to tell me how she was pregnant with twins and that she was my size when she delivered...keep in mind that I'm only 23 weeks at this point)
Me: Ohhh...(happy sarcastic tone - I think she's getting a hint so she starts to walk out the door again, but stops before reaching it)
Substitute: You are just SO big! Is your husband big? (Yes, she seriously said this)
Me: No, he's not. (No smile on my face...just a stoic comment)
Substitue: Wow! That is SO interesting! (Walks out to the doorway and turns around...opening her mouth to say something else)
Me: (Interrupting) Have a nice day! (In an OVERLY cheerful voice...no smile though)
She kinds of stands there for a few seconds, opening and closing her mouth, appearing as though she is debating with herself to say something else, but caught completely off-guard of my attempt to end the conversation. She eventually leaves.
That's my story for today...definitely somewhat depressing, but I don't care - who cares if I'm showing (a lot)! I'm so happy to be pregnant with this sweet baby...I just can't wait to meet him!
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment