Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Peach

So I thought I would document the happenings in my classroom in relationship to my pregnancy. Let's just say that I have 18 'mommies' in my class - 'mommies' to me that is!

I was on a huge Skittles kick around Halloween and the sweet ladies in the office found out about my guilty indulgence and surprise me with mini packets of Skittles in my mailbox. I have quite a collection in my desk drawer now. I don't eat them often, but in the afternoon I sometimes need a little pick me up. The other day, I was "devouring" (one of our 1st grade vocabulary words) a mini-packet of Skittles and a child said, "Oooh...is the baby getting to eat Skittles?" I smiled at them and made a little laugh, saying, "I guess so!" Then another child chimed in and said that I should be careful what I eat - that Skittles are not so healthy for the baby. Ha! I totally agree, but I figured one teeny-weeny pack wouldn't be that bad!

Another incident happened one afternoon (are you seeing a trend in my "pick me ups"?). I wasn't feeling too well and was craving a Coca-Cola Classic. I have cut back on caffeine a considerable amount during this pregnancy, so I figured one Coke would not be the end of the world. Well, my "mommies" certainly had something to say about it. Can you believe that those little loves made me feel so guilty that I only drank half of it?! They are so funny!

The children are so sweet and ask all kinds of questions about the baby (luckily nothing that would require a too-indepth answer), such as how big the baby is and if it's a boy or a girl and other things like that. I get weekly e-mail updates on the status of the baby's development, so I'm usually able to tell them the size of the baby. The first time they asked, the baby was the size of a peach (I believe this was around Week 13 or 14). The children immediately started calling the baby "The Peach" and "Peachy, Peachy" - hi.lar.i.ous! They have been referring to the baby in these terms since! Today (16 weeks), one little girl asked how big the baby was and I told her the size of an avocado. She made a funny face and I said, "Yeah, not as cute as a peach!" She replied with, "I think we'll still call the baby 'The Peach'."

Can you tell how much I love my job? They crack me up everyday and no day is like any other! I'm sure there will be more stories as the year goes on - they are already giving me baby name ideas!

No comments: